Feb 24, 2010

Double Killer

I look back on this poem from years ago. I had won a poem contest in high school, it was centered around drug and alcohol control. Should I have not paid attention to my own words!? Sadly, my last year's car crash experience did not go like this...but the rest of my life did. I lost the most important person in my life over a bad day with vodka. I'm the biggest fool.

All I hear are sirens
All I feel is pain
All I see is my love...
lying dead in the rain

I lift up his head
And softly kiss his cheek
I whisper, I love you
While his heartbeat I seek

People line the street
Along with shattered glass
Police surround , cars slowly pass

I hold on tight
As tears run down my face
I know then, this is our last embrace

Before they take him from me
I grasp him by his hand
Holding up his finger, I remove his class band

I hold it to my heart, looking towards the night sky
I blow him a kiss
Saying my last goodbye

The love of my life left me many things
All of our times together along with his class ring

If the car didn't hit us
If he didn't drink or drive
Then the love of my life would still be alive

Not only did the alcohol take one life, it took two
It's a double killer
It killed the other driver, too.

Drivers under the influence
Teenagers in love
Two lives taken up to the heavens above

Tears-uncontrollable
Standing in the rain
I kiss the casket, my heart filled with pain

No comments:

Post a Comment